Get ready to race!
The Bike Lane's Mountain Bike Training Program kicks off on Saturday, March 16, 2013. This six month training program will get you mentally and physically prepared for the Shenandoah Mountain 100 in September, 2013. The program will include a monthly training program, group training rides, and seminars to assist you in all aspects of your race preparation.
Weekly trainings plans will be created by Marc Genberg, a USA Cycling Level 2 and Power Based Training certified coach (see bio below). Our monthly group training rides will focus on improving mountain biking skills and endurance. The Bike Lane will also provide monthly clinics to include; nutrition, training with power, injury prevention, and bike maintenance. The training program will encourage participants to train using existing local rides and will focus on endurance races such as; the EX2 6, 9, and 12 hour races for race preparation.
This program is designed for the intermediate rider who wants to complete the SM100 for the first time or wants to improve their performance from a previous year. Participants should be able to comfortably ride 40 plus miles on a road bike and be able to mountain bike two plus hours on single track. If you are not sure of your skill level please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bike Lane Six Month SM100 Training Program:
1. Kick off event: March 16 at The Bike Lane at 12:00 pm. (previously this was set for March 6)
2. Weekly Training Plan will be given each month- Training will officially start the week of March 11th
3. Four training seminars at The Bike Lane -Bike Maintenance, Injury Prevention, Race Nutrition, Power Training. Monthly Clinics will be held 4/8, 5/13, 6/10, 7/8.
4. Monthly training group rides - 4/6, 5/4, 6/2, 7/13, 8/10. The first three rides will be at local parks (including the new NOVA Epic, on June 2nd) the last two rides will be in the George Washington Forrest on portions of the SM100 course.
5. Yahoo Group- participants, coach, and group manager will communicate through a yahoo group. A calendar of other local group riding opportunities and races will be available. The group will be encouraged to train together and plan rides together as much as possible.
6. Other rides will be orgainzed throughout the program to reinforce the training plan.
I am a USA Cycling Level 2 and Power Based Training certified coach and have been involved in the USA Cycling coaches program for over 10 years. I have been using power meters and analyzing power data throughout that time, which has helped me gain insight into the practical application of training theories. I've been involved in endurance sports for over 30 years, as a runner, multi-sport participant (duathlons, triathlons), adventure racer, and cyclist (currently I am a Category 1, Elite mountain biker). My passion is helping athletes achieve their best and helping them to learn about training methods and strategies. My coaching philosophy is a blend of traditional coaching methods and incorporation of the current developments in training, especially in the use of power meters. I believe in coaching the whole athlete and that performance depends on fitness as well as complete preparation, which includes skills, strategy/tactics, logistics, and mental training.